Last Updated: 09/24/2020
Basement Water Damage Restoration in Cross Lanes Wv
As millions of people have discovered, Cross Lanes water damage can be a disaster whether it is due to natural causes like flooding or a broken pipe. Learn what to do when water damage strikes with these simple steps.
- Turn off the power. Water and electricity don't mix. Shut down the electricity to all impacted areas. If you aren't sure, then err on the side of caution and turn off power at the main breaker.
- Locate the source. Sometimes it is easy to locate the source of the water; for instance, in a flood. Other times it can be more than a little difficult since leaky pipes or other problems can drip into different areas. If the source isn't easily spotted consider calling a professional to assist. It might save you a lot of time and money on repairs.
- Extract the water. If you are without power, a gasoline powered pump may be required. Be sure to keep it outside as it will give off dangerous fumes inside a home. Water extraction should take place as soon as possible to avoid the growth of mold and mildew.
Disaster Cleanup Companies in Cross Lanes Wv
Standing water and wet materials are a breeding ground for microorganisms, such as viruses, bacteria, and mold. Allow molds to grow on home and or a building, materials that are soaked wet for more than 24 hours, and in 48 hours of wetness, the deadly toxic mold Stachybotrys can begin growing in the damaged areas. This is a fact and documented by Cross Lanes mold experts.
Water Damage Tips in Cross Lanes
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping the area or using a wet/dry vacuum.
- Wipe as much excess water from wood furniture as you can and remove tabletop lamps and other items from the furniture.
- Turn the air conditioning on for maximum drying in the summer and open the windows in the winter to release trapped for an improved indoor air quality.
- Remove any artwork and paintings from the walls if affected, remove any area rugs from the floor and hang to dry outside or inside.
- Remove wet upholstery cushions from the frame and prop them up to dry immediately.
- Place plastic or aluminum foil under any furniture legs that are not plastic to prevent discoloration or bleeding.
- Punch tiny holes in a sagging ceiling to relieve trapped water make sure to place something underneath the holes beforehand to collect any trapped water.
- Make sure that electrical appliances are turned off while standing on wet carpets, floors or especially on wet concrete floors to prevent possible electrocution.
- Report your damage to your insurance company.
- Get help from a Professional water damage restoration company.
Basement Flood Clean Up in Cross Lanes Wv
The three categories of Cross Lanes water damages:
- Clean water or White water: This category of water does not pose a threat to people and sources could include water-supply pipes, domestic piping overflows or blockages or malfunctions of electronic equipment.
- Grey Water: This Cross Lanes category has substantial degrees of contamination, chemicals, micro-organisms or pollutants which could cause illnesses if consumed or sometimes even exposed to it. Eg. Water from dish-washers or washing machines/dryers, toilet drainage with urine content (non-faecal) etc.
- Black Water: Black water is plain and grossly unsanitary and could contain viruses, bacterium, fungus and the like. This category of water-damage effects mostly indoors and could also include water from streams, rivers, stagnant water, sea-water in case of hurricanes or typhoons and the like. Grey water that may have been untreated or not removed and has been stagnant could then be classified as Black water - irrespective of color, content or odor.
Water Heater Replacement in Cross Lanes Wv
- Move to higher ground. Sometimes it is necessary to remove furniture or other belongings to prevent further Cross Lanes damage from taking place. In fact, heavily damaged areas may require evacuation to preserve the health of your family. If in doubt, err on the side of caution and consult with professionals as to whether or not it is safe to remain in your Cross Lanes home.
- Dry. Once the majority of the water has been removed it is time to dry out the rest of the house and belongings. High humidity can lead to the growth of mold and mildew that can ruin furniture, carpeting and the air quality of your home if not promptly addressed.
- Repair. After the situation is stabilized it is time to take stock to see what can be repaired and what needs to be tossed. Dirty water like that from a flood or sewage leak can quickly contaminate everything it comes into contact with requiring extensive repairs ranging from drywall to new carpeting.
Flood Damage Restoration Service in Cross Lanes Wv
It can cause metal in a home's foundation to rust. It can get onto books, photographs, storage bins, and the like, and destroy your most precious possessions. When your home is affected, the only solution is water damage repair.
Water that gets into homes is very difficult to get out if you're not trained or equipped to handle it. Removing water takes specialized tools like a wet vacuum pump and training in how to use this piece of equipment properly. After that, the area is supposed to be dried and disinfected using more specialized equipment. If not, then your house is still at risk of damage and growth of toxic mold spores due to the humid conditions that occur when there is water damage. That's why when you suspect that your home is experiencing water damage and needs water damage repair, you need to immediately seek the assistance of water damage experts who are highly-trained and properly equipped to deal with this situation.
Find a Pro