Last Updated: 08/15/2020
House Water Damage Repair in Highland Mi
Standing water and wet materials are a breeding ground for microorganisms, such as viruses, bacteria, and mold. Allow molds to grow on home and or a building, materials that are soaked wet for more than 24 hours, and in 48 hours of wetness, the deadly toxic mold Stachybotrys can begin growing in the damaged areas. This is a fact and documented by Highland mold experts.
Water Damage Tips in Highland
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping the area or using a wet/dry vacuum.
- Wipe as much excess water from wood furniture as you can and remove tabletop lamps and other items from the furniture.
- Turn the air conditioning on for maximum drying in the summer and open the windows in the winter to release trapped for an improved indoor air quality.
- Remove any artwork and paintings from the walls if affected, remove any area rugs from the floor and hang to dry outside or inside.
- Remove wet upholstery cushions from the frame and prop them up to dry immediately.
- Place plastic or aluminum foil under any furniture legs that are not plastic to prevent discoloration or bleeding.
- Punch tiny holes in a sagging ceiling to relieve trapped water make sure to place something underneath the holes beforehand to collect any trapped water.
- Make sure that electrical appliances are turned off while standing on wet carpets, floors or especially on wet concrete floors to prevent possible electrocution.
- Report your damage to your insurance company.
- Get help from a Professional water damage restoration company.
Wet Carpet in Highland Mi
Many homeowners mistakenly think that having homeowners insurance will also cover potential flood damage. Unfortunately, that is not true. Purchasing flood insurance would be the best coverage for those kinds of situations. It is also important to get flood insurance immediately because there is a thirty day waiting. It is important to get the insurance once buying a home as opposed to waiting for the weather to make life even harder. There are two insurance policies that are needed to help with water damage. As a homeowner you will need both a homeowner's insurance policy and a flood insurance policy. This is because there will be losses that are covered by one or the other. By not having both there will be both suffering financially and having to suffer with the water damage of the home. This could even mean having to leave the home for a long time. By doing important research ahead of time to know what kind of damages and losses can happen then you can make an informed and smart decision on which insurance policies you need. It is important to ask the insurance agent what benefits are outlined per policy they have to offer.
This will allow for you to pick the perfect policy suitable to your needs. They are there to answer all of your questions, no matter how small or big they are. Flood insurance provides coverage up to a certain amount dependent upon the policy. Most policies stick strictly to the definition of a flood. This means that it is when an overflowing body of water goes on to land that is normally dry. This flooding must be temporary, not long term. It also must affect more than just your property. So, the flooding must at least spread to another building or neighbors. Flood insurance is the only coverage that can cover flood damage. If you are unsure whether or not you are on a flood plain then please call the county planning office in your area. It is important to have flood insurance especially if on a flood plain. Homeowners insurance may not cover flood damage but it does cover other water damage. Water damage is defined differently than flood damage is. As opposed to how the water has to actually touch the ground with flood damage, that is not the case with water damage. This could be from a hailstorm that breaks open a home window and then the water from the weather damages the home. It could be from a leak in your home's roof or even a broken water pipe that sprays water to damage the home. There are many other reasons that it is necessary to have homeowners insurance such as theft, explosions, or fire. Having both of these policies at the same time, at all times is most important just in case disaster strikes.
48356, 48357, 48380, 48442
Find Your Service
|Disaster Cleanup Index|
|Basement Flooded Index|
|Flood Damage Cleanup Index|
|Water Restoration Companies Index|