Last Updated: 08/13/2020
Ceiling Repair Water Damage in Grand Rapids Mi
Learn how to protect yourself and your family from water related damage with these quick tips:
- React Fast. Time is of the essence. When Grand Rapids water damage takes place it is imperative to contact a water damage and extraction company as soon as possible. Don't wait until the next morning - search for providers that offer 24/7 support! Mold and mildew can begin growing within 24 to 48 hours!
- Remove. Until all the water is extracted and the humidity levels returned to normal, it may be necessary to remove furniture and other items from the area even if they aren't in direct contact with the water. High humidity and general unsanitary conditions may contaminate other items. Work with a reputable Grand Rapids water damage repair service that provides relocation and storage assistance for your belongings.
- Report. Extensive water related damages often require the financial support of insurance - after all, that is what insurance is for. Don't risk the health and security of your family and investments by trying to do it yourself; instead, locate a reputable water damage and restoration company that works with insurance to help you begin the process of restoring your property.
Flood Damage Repair in Grand Rapids Mi
Putting aside intentional vandalism, a big storm is your most likely concern when it comes to acquiring property damage. A good storm can leave your roof in disrepair, your windows shattered, and your siding lying by the side of the house. If you have insurance, the monetary cost should be covered, but that doesn't necessarily mean you'll get a roadmap to repair. The insurance company's idea of what should cover the costs may also differ substantially from reality. A lot of homeowners look around in confusion and frustration after incurring this kind of destruction. If you're among them, here are some things you can do. If you're having trouble coming up with the funds to pay a professional, you'll have to do the cleanup on your own. Don't depend on your insurance company to come through with the funds in time. If there are issues with water, for instance, you need to start getting it out immediately. Every hour it sits in your home, the worse the property damage becomes. If it stays long enough, you may not be left with anything salvageable.
Plenty of people have faced this very reality. If you can afford to hire a professional restoration company, do so. It's money well spent. Once you've taken care of any water problems (that means getting rid of not just the flooding, but the dampness as well), it's time to start talking restoration and rebuilding. If you're just looking at a fence in disrepair, it could be a project you can tackle on your own. Anything more substantial, and you'll need to shop for a good contractor. This is a dangerous time for homeowners. When a storm blows through town, shady contractors are never more than a step behind. Make a policy to hire only established and reputable contractors and you'll be able to avoid scams. This isn't a time where your kids need to be outside playing in the yard without shoes. Storm-caused property damage can lead to a host of dangers, many of which may be invisible until it's too late. Stray nails, for instance, could be anywhere. This may be true at all times, but it is especially important to remember following an event such as this. It's already a burden to recover from such an incident. Don't make it worse by adding a medical emergency on top of it. Exercise caution until everything is cleaned up.
Emergency Flood Cleanup in Grand Rapids Mi
Our Grand Rapids water damage repair/water removal technicians will first determine if you need to relocate to temporary housing during the process. If you are required to stay at a hotel or other temporary housing, remember to keep your bills and receipts. If you do this correctly, your insurance company should reimburse you after you file a claim.
Grand Rapids Water Removal will now go in and take care of all the standing and surface water with water extraction and water removal services. This usually requires using an industrial strength water vacuum, and should be done on an emergency basis. If the water sits in your property for too long, it could cause mold growth and require mold remediation services.
The next step requires industrial strength dehumidifiers and fans. The fans disperse the water particles, and the dehumidifiers absorbs the vapor and turns it back into liquid.
Flood Repair Companies in Grand Rapids Mi
Standing water and wet materials are a breeding ground for microorganisms, such as viruses, bacteria, and mold. Allow molds to grow on home and or a building, materials that are soaked wet for more than 24 hours, and in 48 hours of wetness, the deadly toxic mold Stachybotrys can begin growing in the damaged areas. This is a fact and documented by Grand Rapids mold experts.
Water Damage Tips in Grand Rapids
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping the area or using a wet/dry vacuum.
- Wipe as much excess water from wood furniture as you can and remove tabletop lamps and other items from the furniture.
- Turn the air conditioning on for maximum drying in the summer and open the windows in the winter to release trapped for an improved indoor air quality.
- Remove any artwork and paintings from the walls if affected, remove any area rugs from the floor and hang to dry outside or inside.
- Remove wet upholstery cushions from the frame and prop them up to dry immediately.
- Place plastic or aluminum foil under any furniture legs that are not plastic to prevent discoloration or bleeding.
- Punch tiny holes in a sagging ceiling to relieve trapped water make sure to place something underneath the holes beforehand to collect any trapped water.
- Make sure that electrical appliances are turned off while standing on wet carpets, floors or especially on wet concrete floors to prevent possible electrocution.
- Report your damage to your insurance company.
- Get help from a Professional water damage restoration company.
49501, 49502, 49503, 49504, 49505, 49506, 49507, 49508, 49509, 49510, 49512, 49514, 49515, 49516, 49518, 49523, 49525, 49530, 49534, 49544, 49546, 49548, 49550, 49555, 49560, 49588, 49599
Find Your Service
|Disaster Cleanup Index|
|Basement Flooded Index|
|Flood Damage Cleanup Index|
|Water Restoration Companies Index|