Last Updated: 07/07/2020
Water Damage Wall in Burtonsville Md
The floods that happened last year still seem so fresh in our minds. The water may have receded; however, what has been left behind is the mold everywhere! Before we get into the remedial measures, let us first understand what exactly a mold is and how do they become our uninvited guests! Molds are small organisms that are found almost everywhere in your household, including your plants, food and dry leaves. They can be of any color-white, orange, green or black. They are not always useless but can also help the environment by helping in breaking down the dead material. Post-floods, you may try going an extra mile by vigorously cleaning the porous household surfaces with bleach. However, these surfaces continue to house fungal microbes, even after strenuous bleaching. They may look restored, but the truth is that bleach does not penetrate to the roots of mold and the surface remains infected.
Molds are very tiny and light in weight. As a result, they can travel easily through air. They grow with the help of the nutrients that they find on most building surfaces. The mold spores land on damp material like walls, floors, appliances like the humidifiers or air conditioners, carpet or furniture and begin to multiply. When present in large numbers they may cause allergic symptoms similar to those caused by plant pollen. Persistent mold can affect your health and also damage surfaces. Exposure to molds is likely to cause watery eyes, a runny nose, sneezing, nasal congestion, and itching, coughing, wheezing, difficulty in breathing, headache and fatigue. Also, the health problems may not be the same for all persons as some people are more sensitive to molds than others. Infants and children, elderly person, people with low immunity levels or individuals with existing respiratory problems are likely to face more health problems than others.
Basement Flooding in Burtonsville Md
Standing water and wet materials are a breeding ground for microorganisms, such as viruses, bacteria, and mold. Allow molds to grow on home and or a building, materials that are soaked wet for more than 24 hours, and in 48 hours of wetness, the deadly toxic mold Stachybotrys can begin growing in the damaged areas. This is a fact and documented by Burtonsville mold experts.
Water Damage Tips in Burtonsville
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping the area or using a wet/dry vacuum.
- Wipe as much excess water from wood furniture as you can and remove tabletop lamps and other items from the furniture.
- Turn the air conditioning on for maximum drying in the summer and open the windows in the winter to release trapped for an improved indoor air quality.
- Remove any artwork and paintings from the walls if affected, remove any area rugs from the floor and hang to dry outside or inside.
- Remove wet upholstery cushions from the frame and prop them up to dry immediately.
- Place plastic or aluminum foil under any furniture legs that are not plastic to prevent discoloration or bleeding.
- Punch tiny holes in a sagging ceiling to relieve trapped water make sure to place something underneath the holes beforehand to collect any trapped water.
- Make sure that electrical appliances are turned off while standing on wet carpets, floors or especially on wet concrete floors to prevent possible electrocution.
- Report your damage to your insurance company.
- Get help from a Professional water damage restoration company.
Water Damage On Wood in Burtonsville Md
Time is crucial when water has flooded your home. Whether it is a broken or leaky pipes, sink overflow, toilet overflow, bathtub overflow, refrigerator, washing machine, water heater, or dishwasher overflow, air conditioner leaks, sump pump failure, hardwood floor water damage, or crawl space water damage due to storms, we will find the source, stop the flooding, provide full extraction and structural drying. We are proud to be the number one Burtonsville water damage company.
Handling Your Burtonsville Water Damage 24/7
The consequences of insufficient home water damage restoration are far too great to leave flood damage cleanup improperly restored. Most property owners are not aware of what is needed to complete water damage repair and have a lot of questions. That’s where the certified water removal professionals like us come in. Our water damage restoration specialists are qualified through formal training and experience on water extraction and how to remove excess flood water completely, to make sure evaporation occurs and to establish the dehumidification needed to stop further damage.
Burtonsville Water Damage Repair of Burst and Broken Pipes
Burst or broken pipes can be a major headache when you have water damage and aren’t sure immediately from where the source of damage is coming from. Sprinkler line pipe burst often go unnoticed until the water comes rushing through basement window wells and walls causing significant basement water damage. Pipe burst in the attic can lead to gallons of water raining down on the rooms inside your home.
Flood Damage Repair in Burtonsville Md
Imagine this scenario. You wake up at 7am to go to work and walk through your living room, only to hear, "squish, squish, squish" and see footprints left behind. A pipe burst in your wall and has been leaking water for 8 hours, flooding your entire home and saturating carpet. What do you do? Here are 10 quick and easy tips and safety steps to take when dealing with a flood or water damage disaster. If you are in a life threatening situation, call 911 immediately. Immediately leave any wet or flooded areas. Do not stand on wet ground. Ensure all people and animals in the building are safe and get them to dry ground. Ensure the structure is safe, if not, leave the building immediately. Turn off any electricity to the affected area, as long as it is safe to do so. Turn off the water supply at the meter, usually located in the front of the building.
Turn off any natural gas supply lines. Call a local water damage restoration company to schedule immediate cleanup. Call your insurance adjuster to file a claim. Most water damage losses are covered by insurance. Set up any needed shelter, or contact a friend or family member for additional housing assistance. If the structure is safe, after following the above steps, follow this short checklist to have ready for the water damage technician when they arrive. Any missing or damaged roof shingles? Is there bent or missing flashing? Is there gutter damage? Is the chimney intact or damaged? Is the stucco stained or cracked and loose? Is the brick wet or stained? Are the siding boards intact, warped or loose? Are there signs of water intrusion through the windows? Are there signs of water intrusion through basement windows or window wells? Is any of the insulation wet or damaged?
Flooded Basement Cleanup in Burtonsville Md
- Strip away the greatest number of water damaged items as possible that belonging to the area, analyzing what could very well be thrown out and what can be dried and kept. If for example your water looks to be very clear and clean, sop as much water as possible using non-dyed linens, towels or blankets.
- If it's a vital flooding spill, turn off your point of electricity. You don't need to electrocute yourself. We are able to generate mobile generators to operate our Burtonsville equipment and light for you.
- Whenever you can, locate the cause of the leak and if appropriate shut it off. Should the Burtonsville water damaged ceiling is coming from a contaminated source, suchlike sewage lines, leave the location immediately and avoid getting sick. Do away with any excess water damaged items as possible of the area, deciding what could very well be trashed and what is generally dried and kept. In most cases the water looks to be very clear and clean, sop up as much water that you can using non-dyed linens, towels or blankets.
20707, 20866, 20868, 20905
Find Your Service
|Disaster Cleanup Index|
|Basement Flooded Index|
|Flood Damage Cleanup Index|
|Water Restoration Companies Index|